#1. The vagrancy homelessness. crisis remains out of of control in Downtown and throughout Austin, TX. Where perhaps in previous generations and decades homeless people in the ATX were beggars, asked for food and often kept to themselves, today's modern homeless Austin, TX residents have become confrontational and agreesive. It is has become obstrusive and dangerously unsafe. Here's is a #1 specifc example that occured this past week for me. While getting a standard haircut at an economical babershop locatin in South Austin on the frontage road of 290 and Mencheca Road, a shirtless tatoooe agreesive man tried valiantly to entry the store. Luckily the glass door is constantly locked and the 2 lone female baberists intelligently refused this man entry. God only know what might have happen to us barbershop patrons and workers if they had allowed this aggressive homeless man with a dog to gain entry in the barbership. Real Life GVM example #2. So I went Downtown to the 2nd street area to go check out the new brand new brand Tom Brady "Card Vault" sports card shop. It was expensiv,e but pretty cool, with a select few affordable items and a couple sports trophy memorablily type autograpghes pieces. Then I went to attempt to have lunch on 2nd street. Sitting outside watching people cruise 2nd street used to be a carefree enjoyable urban experience. Well today towards the end of my meal, a shirtless agreesive homeless vagarant insistenlt asked if he could each my meal. I said no, thanks. Well instead this homless man barnstormed towards me and on to the diner and just went straight for me food. I just go up left and peacefully and safely walked out. These were 2 examples that occued to me in just 1 week. Geezz. It's a major problem.
#2. Character filled possibly Historic buildings in prime Central Austin Real estate locatations are being fully demolished for the creation of money infested developers buolding High-Rise and Mixued Use ugly eye sore development with national coporate mush retailers. Austin TX and the Keep Austin Weird mantra focused on keep Austin local, buy local. Support Mom & Pop owned local businesss. The reentless infusion on money and new people in this town has displayed some of the downside to money obessed real estate capitalism. As yall I work in real estate myself, Yes I need to sell things and make money. Yes I support Capitalism. But it's just often been a detriment to the ATX when character, classic cool architecure and still usable building are fully demolish for mixed used glass slop.
#3. Car Traffic, Central Austin Overpopulation, Road Construction, and a lack of Parking. I love riding my bycycle, walking and taking ubers as much as possible, yet once you become a parent with a small child you learn the neccesity and how much junk walkers, cribs, stollers, bags, dipaers, mil bottles, food etc young children need. Being a parent with a small child basically requires a safe car seat and storage to adequatley get and arrive anymore. The Car Trafffic is pretty much a constant in Central Austin, Lamar Blvd. South Congres Aveue. Mopac, I-35. it's everywhere, and it's under constant construction. Where 2 lanes existed is now 1 lane. Where 3 lanes existed is now 2 lanes. the Human Overpoulation is incredible. Try walking or running on the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail on Weekend morning and it's feel like huam rush hour in Manhattan NYC. People, dogs, strollers, just everywhere.
4. Austin's commercial enabling of dog owners. Today near a coffee shop near Zilker Park tried to simple buy 1 cup of mug coffee at shop and drink it quietly in peace. Nope. In this ballpark 1,200 - 1,500 sq. ft commercial space I eye counted at least 7-10 dogs with their owns on leashes ranging from tiny harmless cute dogs to 1 legit pit bull. I mean come on, should dog owners just be allowed to waltz their oversized dog and pit bull into type cramped Central Austin commercia spaces? Is that safe, sanitary? Would you like to relax next to an oversize barking large dog? It's just gotten ridiculous. Why can't these dog owner venture out into public and leave their dog at home? Why the desire to bring your unruly large pet everytwhere with you and force us regualr people to be around them? It's just frusuting. I think the commercial business just want $$$, and more $$ and don't mind these dog loving customers becuase they spend money. Ughh...at some just like when the City of Austin outlawed cigarette smoking inside bars and restruants, maybe it's time to say dog owners can only keep their dog on outdoor patio and exterior outdoor area and NOT be allowed to bring them inside of commercial public friendly establishements.
5. The Rising Cost of of Everything. About 10-20 years as a real estate agent working Central Austin Residential I used to honeslty be able to tell visitors, clients and prospective Austinites, "Hey the Real Estate might be pricey, but the cost of everything else is cheap." Well 15-2o years ago that correct. a LONESTAR tall boy beer was $2-3 bucks. Maybe a LonesTar shot of whisky combo was max $5 bucks a the bar. One could get eat a wonderful brunch at the Omletry on Burnet Road for say 15 bucks max. You could swing by Magnlia Care on Lake Austin Blvd and get the "Mag Mud" for about 8 bucks and a drip coffee for 2-3 bucks. Magnolia even had a breakfast order entree titled, " the economical."
In current 2026 times, my previous years statement would be a lie. Everything is expensive. A drip Coffee hovers around $4 bucks, with free refills if you are lucky. Going out to eat is expensive, Tickets to Live Music Concert have skyrockets, whereas a live show might 10-20 bucks at the max and a "headliner" ticket may 50 bucks. Geeez 50 bucks in modersn times to see a "semi-famous" Live music show is consider a deal. Then if you order a beer at the venue it is 10 bucks and up. Yal see where I am going, the cost of everything and leaving your house is just too much. The only perhaps place of repise is the HEBGrocery Sotre, which I feel oes it's best to obtain resabonel pricing for the comman mna, woman and family of Austin, Texas.
6. A City of Strangers. Back in the 1990's Austin Texas had a small town feel. Almost like everybody knew everybody, the family they came from, what industry their parents worked in and where people went to school. LEaving your house meant you'd often happily converse with friendly known neighvors at the Post Office, Dry Cleaners, at the cafe or on standard errands. Nowadays as the City of Austin TX human resident population has POPPED over 1 million people, I don't know anybody anymore. I'm lukcy if I recocogine 2 people a day. The City of Austin is full of transplant for work, job or lifeslty reasons. There are tons of fresh new faces. While they can be fun and reinvigorating, people often lives in Austin 2-5 years anf their life and jog gets tranfered and they move out. So once you might get to know nad befriend somebody they live and they are gone. Austin, TX has beceom a massive revoling door of human attractiion to the city for lifestlye purposes. I often think the TECH BRO's use Austin Texas as their personalilty. As a loca who was born and raised in Austin, TX has evolved in realizing this is the new social growing norm and just enjoyable converse people as they arrive and then leave.
7. Taxes, Taxes and more Taxes. Please Note I am true Democrct ad am currently the volunteer Travis County Democrat Preceint chair for my neighborhood of St. Elmo, SoCO, Battlend, 78745 Close in South Austin, TX. I am pro gay rights big time, pro-choice, pro freedom, pro legalize gambling, pro legal marijuana and many more social Democratic liberal issues. But, yes but, the City of Austin is constantly maxing out their ability to Tax home owners via property taxes. They even attempted a "special election" this year asking us voter hey, can we have your permission to TAX you even more? Well even in our happu 70-75 percent liberal leaning city of Austin the City of Austin "special add more taxes" failed at the ballot box. I don't know who is to blame, if it is the State governmet of Texas for stealing our Tax money from the City of Austin via "recapture" or "Robing hood" for school or if the City of Austin just loves their unlimited budgent and resrources. I will remain and am a strong democract, yet one issues I disagree is the raising of taxes on evrety citizens. I do think BILLIONAIRE and COPORATIONS should pay more taxes.
Comments
Post a Comment