Skip to main content

The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon lands in Austin, Texas! Texas Longhorn Campus

This ARTICLE is too wonderful and awesome not to SHARE and proliferate. It comes to us courtesy of THE DAILY TEXAN. The DAILY TEXAN is the newspaper created and run by students at the University of Texas @ Austin. Thank you DAILY TEXAN and the Tonight Show for visiting and filming in Austin, Texas. Have fun! Party on! Click here for a direct link to THE DAILY TEXAN.







A few months ago, Jimmy Fallon didn’t know what “hook ‘em” was. Now, he’s on campus and ready to party.
For the first time in the show’s history, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” is filming on a college campus to an all-student audience. The show, airing on Thursday, will feature Matthew McConaughey, Chip and Joanna Gaines and Gucci Mane.
The Daily Texan sat down to talk with Fallon about why he chose UT and what he’s been up to upon arriving in Austin.
Daily Texan: So, why did you pick UT to be the first University to do a show at?
Jimmy Fallon: I saw you guys on an ESPN (College) GameDay or something and I was like, "What's the deal with UT? They look like a really fun school." And everyone was like "Oh man, Hook ‘em Horns." I was like, I really don't even really know what that is because I don't know about college sports, so I had to learn. But I was like, maybe let’s take the show on the road and go to a college, because our biggest fans are 18-year-olds and in college. We wanted to come and say thank you for watching and supporting our show. So then I said, "How about UT?" And the producers were like, that's the best, we should ask them and just float it out there, see if they like the idea. Immediately we heard back from the president, he was like "Dude, we'll roll out the red carpet." Honestly, we were so excited. We didn't even ask any other schools. This is our first and only choice. If this goes well, we'll take it to other schools, but there's nothing planned yet. 
DT: I saw you say on some promo videos that you're bringing the party to Austin. Has Austin returned that favor by bringing the party to you? 
JF: Yeah. Oh, my goodness. It is insane. This place has been a nonstop party. We've only been here a couple days, and I'm already losing my voice because we're screaming, yelling. I think the food is awesome. The music scene is great. But the people are just the nicest, most welcoming community. Everyone's like, "Yo, Jimmy go to this place. Jimmy you have to go blah blah like, here, you want a beer? You want that? Can I buy this?" And I was like, "No, I'll pay for stuff." I love to pay for stuff. Last night, I went to The White Horse and someone taught me how to two-step. It was really fun. It's opening my eyes to new things. 
DT: So, was The White Horse your favorite place last night?
JF: Yeah … well, I will say Hole in the Wall is an experience that not many people have, and they should just to check out the bathrooms alone. I took photos in there; I took selfies. On a break during shooting they were like, "You got to see the women's room." There's two toilets next to each other, no walls, no stalls. I'm like, "Wow, I've never seen anything like that in my lifetime." It was just a really great bar. You go to a place and you can feel if the place has good bones, and that place has good bones. You know there's a lot of good times happening in that place. I think if I was a college kid, I would love to go there. Even now, I would actually love to go there. I'm 45, I probably would stick out like a sore thumb. 
DT: What has your favorite UT experience been? 
JF: Getting to see the Tower and see how big this campus is. The school I went to was so small. I barely had a basketball court. You have a stadium that holds 100,000 people. That is insane. You're so lucky to have that. This is amazing to have this much opportunity. It's so beautiful here. Everyone's so nice, and everyone seems to be really proud of their school. I have my burnt orange T-shirts I've been wearing, and I got a football jersey from the president. So expect to get a loss this weekend when I play for the team. (The announcers will) be like a first man injured, comedian Jimmy Fallon, his head popped off. 
DT: Can you tell us what UT’s own personal celebrity Matthew McConaughey is going to be doing on the show? 
JF: He's a smart guy. I love him. He has been a great guest on our show before. He loves Texas and UT so much. I mean, honestly, he was one of the reasons too, we were watching College GameDay and he came on. He was singing “The Eyes of Texas” and Hook ‘em Horns and I was like, "Oh, this is fun." He's a good egg. I like that guy. So we'll have fun with him and just show how much he loves the school (and) loves Texas. It'll be a nice little kind of love letter. I'm going to go shoot a little piece with him just to show that he's a professor here. And I'm going to maybe take a test with him, and hopefully, all my answers will be alright, alright, alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Per Moneywise, Grant Cardone says, "I wouldn't touch the real estate markets of either Austin, Texas or Seattle Washington with a 10 foot pole."

‘I wouldn’t touch Austin, Texas or Seattle, Washington with anybody’s money’ : Grant Cardone says these two major US cities are some of 'the worst markets to be in right now' for real estate investors — here's why Story by Bethan Moorcraft • click here for the exact moneywise article  prolific real estate investor Grant Cardone has singled out two U.S. property markets he wouldn’t touch with a 10-foot pole: Austin and Seattle. Cardone shared this hot take — and many others — in an  interview with Moneywise  after he prompted an AI chatbot to answer the question: “What are the 10 best markets for investing in rental real estate in America?” The AI Smith response started with: “The best markets for investing in real estate in America can vary depending on factors such as population growth, job opportunities, rental demand, affordability and potential rental income.” Up until that point, Cardone — who performed the task live on camera — was pretty happy with the response. But

Sad News. Tim Harrington of Austin, Texas passed away in mid-February 2024 from a heart attack. His Memorial Service is 2/29/2024 2 pm, @ Austin Ridge Bible Church in Westlake.

  George Vance..... Just making sure you know that Tim Harrington passed away last weekend. Heart attack.  Tim’s Memorial Service will be: 2/29/24 at 2 PM at Austin Ridge Bible Church at 9300 Bee Cave Rd, Austin, TX 78733 in Westlake. At the Worship Center building. Please spread the word. GVM speaking here, "Tim showed up on my 40th birthday at Pitch N Putt for an afternoon of golf and bullshit. Tim was in good spirits that afternoon after boasting of his mega million dollar commercial fresh sale in SoCo. St. Elmo @ the ol' Hills Cafe.   Tim was a former SOUTHWESTERN door to door salesman and alumnus like me. A fellow bookman. Tim showed up @ my BookPeople booksigning event, for the "The Nation We Live In."   Overall Tim was a good man and character . A worthy Austinite!  Tim Harrington was quick to make friends. Just in February, randomly Tim and I participated in 3 straight days of Champions Real Estate School (off Hwy 620 & US 183) for full day required clas

Click here to watch GVM's Unicorn 1 minute Rant against the "concrete vision plan" for Zilker Park & Barton Springs Pool

Click here and skip to 1 hour 30 minutes to VIEW the Unicorn's GVM 1 minute testifying Downtown Austin City Hall council chambers Rant! Or below is a TIK TOK, my brother Willy McGee created for fun..